Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Purpose of my Journey

I know it sounds cliche but every chef dreams of cooking in New York. There is just something about this city; the energy, the sounds, the almost electricity to it. When you are here, at least for me, you just feel brand new! Don't get me wrong I love Atlanta, as it is my home but there is something about living and working in New York that I have to get out of my system.

Why am I doing this????? A lot of people have asked me what is the purpose of my trip, what I want to see, etc. Here is what it really boils down to...

When I started my own business, The Hungry Peach, I thought I was fulfilling my life long dream, which was having my own restaurant and running a business. Although I love what I do i've recently discovered that the majority of people, especially southerners, do you not appreciate nor care about good food. Atlanta seems to be a foodie town but when you get down to the surface it is really a "meat and potatoes town". This is not a bad thing it can just be limiting. Let me explain this before people get offended. When you are a chef you learn an appreciation for ingredients and how to treat them, how to transform dishes, or to make delicious ones say using duck "kidneys". These are the things that challenge a chef and teach us how to grow. However the majority of people (not all of them but most) would rather buy relatable food. Its the same reason people will order beef tenderloin at a fancy dinner over the rabbit. Food is all about experiences and most people have experienced beef tenderloin, know that it is good, and therefore are more comfortable ordering it. It is the same reason why I will do a $6 meatloaf special or a $4 fried chicken biscuit at the cafe and will sell out before lunch even begins. This is what Atlantans want to eat and although there is nothing wrong with that I feel like my talent, hard work, experience, not to mention the cost of culinary school is lost!

So this question constantly lingers in my head, "do I want to be a chef, and not just any chef, the
best, work for the best and cook the rabbit?" or "do I want to run a business and cook the beef tenderloin?" I am hoping that this trip will answer the question.

The goal while I am here is to see as many restaurants and speak with as many chefs/business owners as possible, a different stage (working for free to gain experience) each night, or
"A One Night Stage" as I like to call it.



On the calendar thus far...

Jan 6th
-arrive in New York and move into my West Village Apartment (250 whole sq feet!)
-figure out the subway system
-most important of all, enjoy a delicious slice of New York pizza! I have my eye on Artichoke -but let me know if anyone has suggestions

Jan 7th
-10am meeting with Burke at Bloomingdales
-12pm Lunch/Meeting with "The Little Owl"-restaurant, www.thelittleowlnyc.com
-3pm meeting with Chef Delouvrier "La Mangeoires"
-5pm Marj comes to town

Jan8th-9th
-going out/eating/enjoying the city

Jan 10th-15th
-various stages


2 comments: