Friday, January 7, 2011

1st day in the city

What a day!!!!

ok so I started out learning the subway, not going to lie, I got lost a couple times but I made it to all my destinations!

First stop was David Burke at Bloomingdales....
I met with executive Chef Jose and he was very cool. I am really excited about working with him because we do a similar operation. I will get to see the boxed lunches, how the hot line works, etc.

2nd stop: The Little Owl-met with the beverage director, Tracy Gribbon
www.thelittleowlnyc.com

I ate lunch at this quaint place and damn was it good!
I started with lamb and eggplant ravioli, then a side of brussel sprouts and beignets for dessert that were truly out of this world. I love their philosophy on food. It is straight forward food that is done right. Their pasta is made from scratch and all ingredients are fresh.

Tracy was awesome to talk to and offered a lot of insight. The thing that she said that stood out the most was when I asked why she liked the food industry. She said that she was at an event with Jonathan Waxman and a couple other chefs and when she looked at them realized how dedicated they were to their career, "work is their life". This is a profession that you become engulfed in, you are essentially always working, you always have to be one step ahead. She said that watching their commitment made her want to be apart of this industry forever.

I can relate a lot to this because it is such a tough career with long hours, back aches, high pressure, etc. but at the end of the day it shows you how disciplined you are. It allows showcase your passion and be around other people that feel the same way. People wonder why a lot of chefs are so arrogant and its because its tough out there and you better be confident in what you are doing or you'll get your ass kicked.

My 3rd and last stop of the day was with Chef Christian Delouvrier at
"La Mangeoire"www.lamangeoire.com

This guy is the "real deal" straight from France chef. Arguably one of the best chefs out there and I am sitting across the table from him. It was truly an honor, I really could not stop smiling! We talked about what I was doing in New York and he then invited me to stage at the restaurant a couple days next week and I cant wait for what he will show me. I actually get to cook right by his side for an entire day!!!!! I realize that to you non foodie people out there that this means nothing to you but for a chef it is truly an amazing opportunity.

It was an exhausting day but an amazing one and I cant wait for the rest of the journey to unfold.

Here's the schedule for next week

Monday-Delicatessen stage with Chef Michael Ferraro 12pm

Tuesday-La Mangeoire with Chef Christian 3pm

Wednesday-Gramercy Tavern with Chef Michael Anthony 5pm

Thursday-La Mangeoire with Chef Christian 11am

Friday-David Burke at Bloomingdale's Chef Jose 8am

more later Marj just got to town and we are off to Barbuto

1 comment:

  1. Welcome here - a place where kids of all ages can indulge in the most delicious gelato and ice cream shops NYC, creating memories that are as sweet as the treats themselves. Located at 23 Cleveland, New York NY 10012, this delightful place is a slice of heaven where relaxation and fun reign.

    ReplyDelete